Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Story of 3:00AM

That can't be good. It's never a good sign when you wake up from having confused nightmares about work. With a headache. A headache so bad you don't even have to open your eyes or move your head from your pillow to feel. Please go back to sleep baby girl, please. I know she won't, she rarely does. I act like I'm still sleeping. It's not fair, it rarely it but I have to be up for work again in a few hours and my head, my damn head just hurts so bad. Why is she awake again.
He crawls out of bed. Silence. Finally silence. He crawls back in to bed. Ahhhh, that was easy. She's crying again. I get nudged. So that's what it feels like. It's my turn to go tame the dragon. As soon as I walk in to the room the crying becomes more panicked, she's seen me, she's afraid I'm going to leave the room again. I try the usual. It doesn't work. I start to ponder the possibilities for this night of unrest but the list and the tactics I'd implore are too long. I just don't have it in me. My head hurts. I grab her and fall in to the spare bed. Here little girl, you get your way tonight.
I draw her close to me and she's oh so quiet as she nurses herself back to sleep. I think about how I'll wake up for work with no alarm clock. I think about her psyche. Am I spoiling her by not making her self soothe? Work this one out yourself kiddo, Mommy's got to lay in bed and be tormented by your scream. No, she'll be fine. We'll be fine. We've got sleep to attend to right now. Too busy to worry. Night baby girl.

No comments: